Friday, April 4, 2008

Nature Blogging -- Friday Edition

I got home last night from work around 6:00, grumpy and tired, and the lovely Renee said "why don't you go skiing, baby?"

In normal years I can't go skiing after work, because with the short days it is usually dark by the time I get home (although to be honest, I have been desperate enough to go out a few times with a head lamp -- "yeeeeargh!")

But it's April, and we still have snow on the ground!! So I threw on my gators and a windbreaker and headed out.



The conditions have deteriorated sorely since last weekend. There was less cover, and the snow was hard and crunchy, like skiing on crushed ice. It made conditions fast and treacherous on my narrow touring skis. It was so firm on top that even though it was ungroomed, I was able to skate across portions of the open fields.




I saw a line of moose tracks in the woods. Every third or fourth step the moose had broken through the crust and sunk down about 2 feet in the softening snow. Must have made for difficult going.



Alongside the moose tracks (following? chasing?) were dozens of large canine tracks. Dogs? Coyotes? I can't tell. But I saw several different sized tracks, so there were at least 3 or four different animals. Were they tracking the moose? Hard to imagine that coyotes could take down a full-grown moose. Maybe if it was hurt.



The trail I was following had some nasty water hazards -- little rivers and gullies that had formed across the trail. (Those weren't there last week!) There were a couple times when I was caught by surprise, half in control, and nearly got a bath. Luckily each time I was able to maintain just enough control to squeeze between the water and the trees.




Darkness was coming on pretty quickly though, and I didn't have a light with me, or any other gear, so I couldn't stay out after sunset. So, I turned around and headed home to go see Renee, make some dinner and play with the new puppy.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What?! You got a new puppy?!??? Steve will love those pictures...he envies you every day b/c he really misses NH and skiing, snowmobiling, etc. Personally, if we lived there right now and there was still that much snow in April, I think I would have to divorce Steve and move to Equatorial Guinea or something.

Anonymous said...

Yes, a puppy. (I threw that in there at the end to see if you were really reading) Between you and me, it was really Ren's doing. A woman at work brought it in, and she fell in love. She is a cutie -- a beagle/cocker spaniel mix, black and white with big floppy ears.

As you know, in the past I have not been the biggest dog-lover ever, but I'm coming round. ;-)

--Andrew

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's kind of like having kids...you don't have to like anyone else's as long as you like your own.

Anonymous said...

He eats meat and likes puppies... MUHAWHAWHAW, I've turned you into a new man...

Great photos baby!!!

Anonymous said...

They're a little blurry, and the sun is overpowering in some of them, but not bad for a phone camera.

Some day I'll have to get that Nikon D200. Then you'll see some pictures.

Anonymous said...

Dude, you need to update your site.
~Your ever loving and loyal younger sister