Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fools' Day

April Fools' Day is one of James's favorite days. James is my budding comic -- he loves jokes and riddles. He carries around this book ("1000 Jokes for Kids" or something like that) and he will read them out-loud, trying for that good laugh. And even though I've heard a lot of them repeatedly, I still laugh (or groan) appropriately.



As with all 8 year olds, he especially loves bathroom humor, fart jokes, etc. Renee absolutely adores James and totally "gets" his sense of humor. This is a huge blessing for me, because I get to watch the two of them going at it, laughing together over some silly joke, putting on a crazy voice or accent.



Every year when April rolls around, he gets very excited at the thought of playing tricks on people. Some years I will catch him let slip a little comment several days in advance that tell me he's thinking about it, scheming away. And when the day comes and he launches his little joke, he is so excited!

At his age, he has a hard time coming up with the right angle -- and his ideas often outstrip his ability to execute a gag. But he sure gives it a good try. (And heck, comedy's hard.)

Sadly, I won't get to be there this year for when he tries to spring his jokes, since he's down in Atlanta with his sister and my ex.



But I'll get to chat with him on the phone tonight, and maybe we can talk on Skype and play some Battleship or Chess.

And hopefully James will get to play a trick on somebody today, and they will give him a good reaction.

Next week the kids come up to stay with Renee and me for April Vacation. I can't wait.

Until then, I miss you James. Have fun, and play a good trick on someone for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, I am sad for you that you don't get to wake up every morning and see the kids...it's great that you will have them all next week though--I know you'll make the most of it!

Anonymous said...

I am hopeful that you will be able to skype tonight and have your life, even if he isn't home.

I love you,
Ren

Anonymous said...

I meant, have your laugh... Sorry.