Thursday, May 1, 2008

Not In My Name

When I first saw the image below, I was heartbroken -- torn up at the thought of innocent babies STILL being killed by American bombs five years into this mess. But the feelings have mutated into much more than just sadness. No, I'm mad as hell, fed up, pissed off. I can't avoid it any more -- I can't blog about happy things, when children continue to die because of MY COUNTRY -- presumably on MY BEHALF.

NO, No, No.













Two-year-old Ali Hussein is pulled from the rubble of his family's home in the Shiite stronghold of Sadr City in Baghdad, Iraq on Tuesday, April 29, 2008. The child, who later died at the hospital, was in one of four homes destroyed by U.S. missiles. More than two dozen people were killed when Shiite militants ambushed a U.S. patrol in Baghdad's embattled Sadr City district, bringing the death toll in area on Tuesday to more than 30, a U.S. military spokesman and Iraqi officials said. (AP Photo/Karim Kadim)

I didn't want this war. I spoke out against this war. I voted against the President who brought us this war. I have written letters trying to convince the Democrats to grow a spine and end this war.

And yet, I know that I cannot escape the creeping stain of blame...that I haven't done nearly enough. I have remained largely silent, stunned, as this horror has continued to unravel with its demonic insistence. I should have been marching in the streets, refusing to pay my taxes, throwing Molotov cocktails.

I will look back on my behavior in this decade with some shame.

In surveying the media I have often wondered "where are the voices of dissent" "where is today's peace movement, our generation's John Lennon or Abbie Hoffman or Phil Ochs. Where are the college kids? But that's just an attempt to shift blame, because deep down I know that I could be doing more to raise the noise.

Damn, damn, damn.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are no words really.

Anonymous said...

Oops. Looks like this might be a fake. I've updated the post -- may have jumped the gun on this.

Anonymous said...

Ugggh! The previous comment actually goes with my next post -- the one about Clinton's aid supposedly making racist comment. That video was a fake -- not the photo of the dead child. Sadly, that's all too real.

Blogging hard.

Unknown said...

I'm with you Andy. I just read (OK listened to on CD in the car) Al Gore's book "The Assualt on Reason". Now I have never been a real Al Gore fan, mostly because like most everyone else I have let 30 second TV spots "inform" my opinion; But I am reformed. He has written an extremely cohesive book slam dunking Bush and wiping the pavement with him. It puts fact behind everything I have felt was wrong with Bush. Anyway, only 6 more month left, and it appears "W" will have us paying somwhere near $5.00 a gallon before he's done. Why not cash in, he certainly has no reputation left to lose, at least not among anyone with a hint of a free thinking brain. In the past I would have said the President has nothing to do with gas prices, but in his case that is not so.